Interview with Dwayne Surdu-Miller

Jessica Lydiate:

So how many rockets have you built?

Dwayne Surdu-Miller:

About 70 of them by the time I graduated from high school.

Jessica Lydiate:

Is there an advantage to having two different sets of fins? Does it make it more stable?

Dwayne Surdu-Miller:

It depends on where the fins are. If the fins are below the center of gravity, then yes. If they are below the center of gravity then they are fine. Then they can fit to this rocket. If they are too far forward it won’t work too well. You want the center of drag to be behind the center of gravity by at least one width of the tube.

Jennifer Wang:

So what are these ones called?

Dwayne Surdu-Miller:

These are mini-mass motors. They are about 8mm in diameter. They are not supported that well just yet, they’ve been around for a few of years.

Jennifer Wang:

Is it just because they are not as popular?

Dwayne Surdu-Miller:

I think it’s because it is something that requires special igniters and special equipment. But now various manufacturers have taken on the notion of build micro mass monitors.

Jennifer Wang:

Are they gaining popularity then?

Dwayne Surdu-Miller:

I don’t think that has been determined yet.

Dwayne Surdu-Miller:

This one did not carry a parachute either, it just ripped the nose off. It’s called “break apart recovery”. There is also tumble recovery. Now, your rocket was a parachute recovery rocket and there are also streamers. Parachute recovery rockets usually drift quit a ways when there is wind.

Jennifer Wang:

So, Artem told us you are the president of the rocketry society in Saskatoon?

Dwayne Surdu-Miller:

Not the president right now, I’m the vice-president, I backed off for a bit because it was taking too much time.

Jennifer Wang:

How much time do the really hardcore rocket people put in?

Dwayne Surdu-Miller:

I don’t think any of us spend a whole lot of time. It’s a really nice hobby. If you have some spare time you can work away on it and create something exciting.

Jessica Lydiate:

How many people are there in the Rocketry Club in Saskatoon?

Dwayne Surdu-Miller:

I’d say about 6 or 7 families.

Jennifer Wang:

Do you do activities as a group?

Dwayne Surdu-Miller:

Yes, we try to have monthly launches. But our winter schedule has not been planned out too well, but we want to have some build secessions. We had nice Christmas party last year and a nice picnic this summer. At the picnic this one rocket… you can’t get them anymore because they have hard plastic at the bottom. I think people were worried that the plastic might hit someone. But if you have everyone watching in open field, its okay. If you’re careful then it’s alright.

Jennifer Wang:

Any recommendations for people interested in rockets?

Dwayne Surdu-Miller:

Rocketry is one of the things I really enjoy. I also enjoy gliders. I enjoy when they go up and release a glider or become a glider. I find this a great way for me to learn things… to learn things about physics. And a way to try new rocket designs and try some old designs I’ve never seen before. It’s a great hobby for learning physics and running around. Because when we are in a field and you send something that goes 1000 feet up and then you have to chase it for 300 or 400 meters. Then you get a lot of exercise as well.

Jennifer Wang:

Were you always interested in physics and rockets?

Dwayne Surdu-Miller:

I was always interested in science. I grew up in the era of the moon launches and that had a great effect on me. Because of that, I pursued things like model rocketry and computer science. I finally ended up being an electric engineer and working with projects that are fascinating and I find them important. And I love my job. I think it is really important for people to do things they enjoy in life.

Jennifer Wang:

Well, thank you for coming out and launching our rocket with us.